The Kaneohe Bay Marina has a very active adult and youth sailing program. Please read the information below for details on rentals, licenses, fees, classes and more.
Available Sailboats for Rent
Topper: Small sailing dinghy used extensively in our youth sailing classes. The Topper is great for polishing up on your sailing skills without worrying about having “too much boat.” Capacity is 2 youth, or 1 adult and 1 youth.
Laser: Small sailing dinghy with a very powerful rig. This boat is fast and should only be taken out by sailors with some familiarity to her handling characteristics. Capacity is 1 person.
Harpoon 5.2: A very stable, forgiving boat. Capacity is 4 people.
Capri 16.5: A quicker boat with a tall rig. Generally does not perform as well in heavier winds. Put a reef in, or use the heavy-wind sails at around 15 knots for improved handling. Capacity is 5 people.
American 18: A very stable, forgiving, and easy boat to sail. They are very roomy as well. Capacity is 6 people.
Capri 22: Our keelboats, originally designed for racing. They are very fun to sail. It is recommended to put in a reef at about 15 knots or so for better handling. Capacity is 6 people.
- A Pontoon License is required before receiving Sail License.
- If you already have a Pontoon License, you may proceed to take the online Sail Exam.
- You are required to score no less than a 90% on the Sail Exam. If you fail, you will be notified via email, and will have to try again. If you pass, you will be notified via email and will be given a link to register for the Practical Exam.
- The Practical Exam will be given on Sundays, from 1130-1330, and will have a maximum group size of 4. This section will consist of rigging, leaving and returning to dock, and general sailing aptitude. Scroll down to see rigging instructions for Marina boats, as well as helpful tips for leaving and returning to dock.
- Upon successful completion of the Practical Exam, you will be issued your Small Boat License.
Adult Sailing Licenses
- Small Boat License: In almost all circumstances, this will be the license you are issued when you complete a basic sailing class, pass a sail checkout, or possess a current license from a recognized marina. This license entitles you to rent the following boats: Topper, Laser, Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2, Capri 16.5.
- Keelboat License: After you have rented out the Small Boats three times, you will be given the option to upgrade to your Keelboat license. This entitles you to rent from our fleet of three Capri 22s. It is recommended that you do a walk-through of the rigging steps with a sailing instructor if it is your first time taking out one of these boats.
- Advanced License: After you have rented our Small Boats and/or Keelboats six times, you will be given your Advanced License. This lets you rent out our American 18s.
Youth Sailing Licenses Youth who participate in our “Learn to Sail” programs have the opportunity to earn one of three licenses:
- Crew: Youth has demonstrated the necessary skills to be an effective crew member on board our Topper sailing dinghies.
- Skipper with Crew:Youth has demonstrated all the skills necessary skills to be an effective skipper. They may only lack the weight needed to right a boat in the event of a capsize without assistance. For this reason they are allowed to rent a Topper as long as they have someone on board with them.
- Skipper: Youth has demonstrated all the necessary sailing skills. Youth is allowed to rent Toppers and sail on their own.
Small Boat License: If you already have an acceptable license from another facility. $20
Keelboat License: Upgrade from Small Boat License. FREE
Advanced License: Upgrade from Keelboat License. FREE
Private Lessons: For 1-2 people. $30/hour
Sailboat Rentals: First come, first served. Able to reserve ahead of time in a four-hour block.
Harpoon 5.2: $5/hour
Capri 16.5: $8/hour
American 18: $10/hour
Capri 22: $10/hour
1. Youth Programs (Ages 8-17): School Year
A. “Science n Sea” Oceanographic Education and Water sports
Class Dates: Sept 29 for six weeks: Sep 29, Oct 6, 13, 20, 27, Nov 3.
Fees: $195 + $15 lab fee = $210
Mondays 1500 – 1800
See the Science n Sea curriculum here.
B. Tuesday Beginners
Class is geared towards skill development and self-sufficiency. Beginners encouraged, all welcome!
Tuesdays 1500 – 1700, 4 weeks
First class begins Aug 19. A new class starts every 4 weeks. Call the Marina for next class start date.
Fees: $150 gains crew members certificate
C. Junior Racing, theory and tactics
Wednesdays 1500 – 1700, 4 weeks
First class begins Aug 20. A new class starts every 4 weeks. Call the Marina for next class start date.
D. Intermediate Sailing
Class is geared towards gaining skippers license.
Thursdays 1500 – 1700, 4 weeks
First class begins Aug 21. A new class starts every 4 weeks. Call the Marina for next class start date.
Fees: $150 gains skippers certificate
2. Youth Programs (Ages 8-17): Summer
A. Summer Sailing Monday – Friday 0900 – 1200. A two-week introduction to sailing. Opportunity to earn Youth Skipper license. After-school classes will end when Summer commences. $180 per two-week session.
3. Adult Programs
A. Adult Beginner Sailing Class Sundays 0900 – 1500. Learn the basics of sailing in four Sundays. Opportunity to earn your US Sailing Small Boat Certification. Adult classes will switch to this format starting in April. 24 hours of instruction. $125
B. Summer Sunset Sailing Monday – Thursday, 1700 – 1930. Learn the basics of sailing in two weeks. 8 classes. Call the Marina for schedule, as they will vary from summer to summer. Opportunity to earn your US Sailing Small Boat Certification. $175/course
C. Private Lessons 1-2 person lessons available by request. Please inquire with the Marina. $30/hr
4. All Ages
A. Friday Sunset Crew N Cruise Fridays 1500 – 1800. When available. Still under construction. Call for availability.