The Kaneohe Bay Marina provides sailing opportunities for all. Please read the information below for details on rentals, licenses/testing, and fees
Topper: Small sailing dinghy used extensively in our youth sailing classes. The Topper is great for polishing up on your sailing skills without worrying about having “too much boat.” Capacity is 2 youth, or 1 adult and 1 youth.
Laser: Small sailing dinghy with a very powerful rig. This boat is fast and should only be taken out by sailors with some familiarity to her handling characteristics. Capacity is 1 person.
American 18: A very stable, forgiving, and easy boat to sail. They are very roomy as well. Capacity is 6 people.
- A Pontoon License with the Marina is required before receiving Sail License.
- If you already have a Pontoon License, you may proceed to take the online Sail Exam.
- You are required to score no less than a 90% on the Sail Exam. If you fail, you will be notified via email, and will have to try again. If you pass, you will be notified via email and will be given a link to register for the Practical Exam.
- The Practical Exam will be given on Sundays, from 1130-1330, and will have a maximum group size of 4. This section will consist of rigging, leaving and returning to dock, and general sailing aptitude. Scroll down to see rigging instructions for Marina boats, as well as helpful tips for leaving and returning to dock.
- Upon successful completion of the Practical Exam, you will be issued your Small Boat License.
Online Sail Boat Testing
You must click the button below to begin your online sailing test. You must get a 90% or better to pass. If you pass, you will be given a link to schedule your bay check for the sailboat. If you do not pass, you will need to retake the test.
Adult Sailing Licenses
- Small Boat License: In almost all circumstances, this will be the license you are issued when you complete a basic sailing class, pass a sail checkout, or possess a current license from a recognized marina. This license entitles you to rent the following boats: Topper, Laser, Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2, Capri 16.5.
- Keelboat License: After you have rented out the Small Boats three times, you will be given the option to upgrade to your Keelboat license. This entitles you to rent from our fleet of three Capri 22s. It is recommended that you do a walk-through of the rigging steps with a sailing instructor if it is your first time taking out one of these boats.
- Advanced License: After you have rented our Small Boats and/or Keelboats six times, you will be given your Advanced License. This lets you rent out our American 18s.
Youth Sailing Licenses Youth who participate in our “Learn to Sail” programs have the opportunity to earn one of three licenses:
- Crew: Youth has demonstrated the necessary skills to be an effective crew member on board our Topper sailing dinghies.
- Skipper with Crew: Youth has demonstrated all the skills necessary skills to be an effective skipper. They may only lack the weight needed to right a boat in the event of a capsize without assistance. For this reason they are allowed to rent a Topper as long as they have someone on board with them.
- Skipper: Youth has demonstrated all the necessary sailing skills. Youth is allowed to rent Toppers and sail on their own.
Small Boat License: If you already have an acceptable license from another facility. $25
Sailboat Rentals: First come, first served. Able to reserve ahead of time in a four-hour block.
American 18: $10/hour