The MCCS Mission
To contribute to the readiness and retention of Marines, Sailors, and family members aboard Marine Corps Base Hawaii by providing fitness and recreation programs, Marine and family programs, and business activities in garrison and deployed environments.
The MCCS Vision
We are the leading advocate for quality of life programs and services, the premier choice of our Marines, Sailors, and families, a model MCCS organization for the Marine Corps.
About Marine Corps Community Services
Marine Corps Community Services (MCCS) is a Department of Defense organization designed to support Marine Corps readiness and retention through customer-owned and -driven programs, goods, and services in garrison and deployed environments. Our goal is to be the premiere provider of quality of life services and products to the military community of Marine Corps Base Hawaii including Kaneohe Bay, Camp Smith and Manana Housing.
Established in 1999, MCCS combines former Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) programs with Family Services programs to enhance the “Quality of Life” of the Marine Corps and Navy Family by providing quality services and activities. MCCS consists of Food & Hospitality, Semper Fit/Recreation, Retail and Services, Marine and Family Programs, and Support Divisions. Programs are offered to active duty military personnel, retirees, family members, and DoD and NAFI employees. Use of MCCS programs and activities is limited to authorized patrons only.
History of Marine Corps Base Hawaii Kaneohe Bay
The Mokapu Peninsula, home of MCBH Kaneohe Bay has been inhabited since the 13th Century. The warrior tradition of Kamehameha the Great is embodied in the spirit of the Marines and Sailors who inhabit these grounds today. History shows that the peninsula’s natural strategic assets have long been recognized. Numerous artifacts remain, providing testimony to a heritage rich in military significance. The first use of Mokapu for military purposes may have been at Ulupau Crater during the mid-1700s. Experts believe that forces loyal to great chief Kahekili used the sheer cliffs on extinct volcano Ulupau, as part of reconnaissance efforts to shield signal fires and torches while relaying information back to lookouts on Molokai.
Mokapu, meaning sacred land, is the site of several heiau (pronounced Hay-ow), small temples built of lava rock. Most notable is the fishing shrine at the farthest extension of Pyramid Rock. Many early inhabitants of the Hawaiian Islands were buried on Mokapu Peninsula. When royalty moved to Waikiki in the 19th century, the “Great Mahele” (land reformation) made way for farming and trade on Mokapu.
In 1918, President Woodrow Wilson established an army reservation near Ulupau Crater and in 1939, the Navy adapted the flat, isolated Mokapu Peninsula as an ideal base of operations for seaplanes. From these beginnings, Naval Air Station Kaneohe Bay emerged.
Kaneohe Air Station set numerous precedents on December 7, 1941, “date that will live in infamy.” Kaneohe Bay was the first base attacked by Japanese aircraft, losing 18 sailors and one civilian, plus 24 of its 36 aircraft. A commemorative plaque on Reed Road now marks the site of the first crash of a Japanese airplane flown by the highest-ranking Japanese officer killed during the attack. Another distinction earned at Kaneohe that day was the first Medal of Honor awarded for Heroic Action in the Pacific, presented to Kaneohe sailor John Finn for whom the new naval administration building on Mokapu Road is named.
Following WWII, Mokapu Peninsula was left in a caretaker status until 1951 when the Marine Corps identified it as the ideal site for air/ground combat training. In 1952, Colonel Frank G. Dailey became commanding officer of Marine Corps Air Station, Kaneohe Bay. Today, Marine Corps Base Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay is home to more than 9,000 active duty Marines and Sailors engaged in the U.S. Pacific Rim strategy.
Camp H. M. Smith
The single largest U.S. Marine field command is designated as both Marine Forces Pacific (MARFORPAC) and Fleet Marine Forces, Pacific (FMFPAC). Headquarters at Camp H. M. Smith aboard MCBH, Marine Forces Pacific is the senior command for nearly two-thirds of the U.S. Marine Corps operational forces and 11 major installations. Set high amid Halawa Heights, Camp Smith is also home base to the Commander in Chief of the Pacific (CINCPAC).
The distinctive headquarters building was originally designed and erected as a naval hospital during WWII. At the time, an invasion of Japan appeared imminent and heavy casualties were feared. When Japan surrendered, the hospital was adapted for a new purpose.
The base is named for its first commander, General H. M. (Howlin’ Mad) Smith, a pioneer of amphibious warfare. The Marine Corps acquired the 224-acre site in 1955.